Monday, May 5, 2008

Meet Boseko Lokombo

Who is Boseko Lokombo? Who is this football player from South Eugene high school that has created a huge stir on message boards all over Internet and throughout the city of Eugene with his recent scholarship offer for football by the Oregon coaching staff?

I have been able to work through the contact list and I also did a little searching on the Internet to find out what the craze about him really is. Stemming from where he came from before he lived in Eugene to how athletic he is I came away very impressed and very excited about the prospect of Lokombo playing for Oregon.

Lokombo comes to Eugene by way of Zaire, Quebec and British Columbia before he landed here. It appears that before playing ball at South, Lokombo played for a high school team in Canada and thats where I really got excited when I was doing my research on this recruit.

So to see the type of athlete that Lokombo is I found some videos on him over on YouTube.

Check out this clip that features Lokombo running the ball and pay attention to the end of the clip.




Its not very often you see a player jump almost completely over an oncoming tackler that is still standing pretty much all the way up still. This clip is just a partial of the entire story on how athletic and impressive Lokombo is.

Here are his Sophomore highlights while he was still playing high school football in British Columbia at W.J. Mouat Secondary School:



This clip showed talent was there but he was still very raw and at times looked a tad slow. However, being only a sophomore playing on varsity is a big feat no matter where you play football and it should be noted.

This past fall Lokombo excelled at South Eugene and was voted onto the honorable mention list for the 2007 Southwest Conference All League team after only playing football for a few years.

Here are his highlights from the 2007 season at South Eugene where he really started to come into his own and start gaining hype.



He didnt have the break away speed you expect as a Division 1 running back but he does bring the power and nastyness to the table when he runs players over. He future however is on the other side of the ball where he starred as South's best defensive player while at linebacker.

In college Lokombo is projecting as a speed rush defensive end or as a middle linebacker. I would compare him to be a similar player as current Sophomore Duck Kenny Rowe. Underzised DE that brings major speed and strength as a defensive end and a bruiser at linebacker with great size and athleticism.

For one last look at these athlete here is a clip of Lokombo jumping over a schoolmate in the Gym at South Eugene High School.





I have recieved a few emails since I released the updates on the Recruiting map on how good Lokombo is and will he be a Duck. Since I have only seen him play once this past fall and that was against SWC and State Champs Sheldon High School I can't give a full opinion on him.

The talent and potential is there. Coaches can't teach size and speed. They can help improve both areas but some people are just blessed with a college football body and Lokombo is one of them. He is a very big player and carries his weight very well and should be able to pack on a few more pounds once he gets into college.

Lokombo is very aware he is raw and in my eyes he is very raw. That might be the only thing holding him back from being a very highly ranked recruit. The fact that he is still new to the game of football will play a large role in his recruiting. He is still getting a crash course that his teammates got playing Pee Wee football and other youth leagues but at the high school level.

Given time to develop he could turn into a real steal in the 2009 class.

Oh by the way, I have heard from numerous people I tried getting in touch with regarding Lokombo that he loves Oregon and is Oregon's to lose....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The last video clip shows me very little. I am a 6'3" 245lb 35 year old and I can jump over a girl bent over only about 36-40" high. Anyone with a 18" vert can clear her if you are fairly tall. I am not discouraged about him as a recruit, just laughing that anyone thinks the last video shows great athletics. he can dunk...lol...so can 500 other oregon highschoolers.
Snoop had a 39" vert out of highschool. Now thats athleticism. I wish him luck. GO DUCKS!

Anonymous said...

OK...I posted above and after so ribbing from friends about the video, went back and looked at it in slowmo. He does have what appears to be 30+" vert and that is very good. He also is dunking over some one and that, according to all my friends that have dunked lots still is tough to co-ordinate and such. So I officially stand corrected=) GO DUCKS!

Quinn said...

I know both those kids...

Bo is a great athlete with a great vertical. The friend he jumped over, Mac Kerins, is a tall tall girl. She's over 5'10" at least.

It's a shame that Bo will have to settle for being a star on D... ;)

Anonymous said...

I thought I would add he is back playing in Canada this fall.

Anonymous said...

I watched Bo play in Canada hes good but better on Offense.

Anonymous said...

I went to college with his brother, a former DB at Minnesota-Duluth, and Boloy is as classy of a guy as I've ever met. I wish them both the best wherever they play in the future.

Anonymous said...

Hey guy, this boloy whos this talking to good about me. hey email me boloy_21fb@hotmail.com i lost contact to all my college mates. get at me